Saturday, August 1, 2015

A Little Child Like Me

"Jesus once was a little child, 
a little child like me; 
and he was pure and meek and mild, 
As a little child should be.
So little children,
let's you and I
try to be like him, 
Try, try, try."


This was the song that came to mind as I watched my daughter Lydia sit beside a picture of Jesus for a good 5 solid minutes just staring.

When Brian and I were married I remember our sealer telling us to make Christ the center of our home and by so doing we would find great happiness in our lives.

When we moved to Chicago, I knew that our home would be entered by many who were not of our faith. I didn't want there to ever be a question on what we believed in and so in our front entryway we have this picture of Christ hung so that right when you walk in, it is the first thing you see. I have had many people comment on this.. friends, UPS guys, and repairmen. It has been a great segway into talking about what we believe. We have had some great conversations with people when they ask about this picture. 

"And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins." (2 Nephi 25:26)

Across from the picture I have hung a mirror.. this is for my own benefit more than others. Sometimes it is hard to always have positive thoughts about myself-especially when I look in the mirror. With Christ on one wall and the mirror on the other, as I leave the house and take one last look at myself in the mirror I see Christ in the background as I leave which is a reminder to not only think positive thoughts but to always represent my Savior and act like a disciple of Christ.


 “Seek the face of the Lord always, that in patience ye may possess your souls, and ye shall have eternal life” (D&C 101:38).

How can we seek the face of our Savior as I see my daughter doing? Surely it means more than just recognizing him in a picture for us.

I think it means coming to the understanding of who He is as the Son of God, our brother, and our Redeemer. It means understanding what He has done for us by His sacrifice allowing us to return to live with God our Father again. And it also means understanding what He wants us to do with our time here-turning our weaknesses into strengths through our humility and continually bettering ourselves and building up His kingdom through our love for him and others.

The next time you see a baby smiling in his sleep or laughing out of the blue as they stare off at nothing in particular as they play... think about the heavenly dreams that baby must be having or the wonderful things they can see because the veil is still so thin. They know our Savior and so should we.


One day Jesus’s disciples asked Him the following question: “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?”
Jesus, having summoned a little child, set him in the midst of them and said, “Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

“Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 18:1, 2–4).
"Let's you and I
try to be like him, 
Try, try, try."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Some Love!