Sunday, August 12, 2012

Sunday Best



    I love our new ward! The average age is probably 31 or 32 and there are lots of little kids (kinda like our Logan ward). There are very few families without children, probably only five or so (i'm guessing). Brian has one other medical school student in the ward as well in his second year. There are about 8 or so Pediatry students though.
     My mom and sister Camille usually get their hair done by a girl named Krystal Rogers. Krystal served her mission in this part of Chicago and has been telling my mom all about it. Krystal told my mom that she hoped our Bishop would be Rudy Bourgeois because he was an incredible man. So when I went to church and found that it was indeed the same man, I had some high expectations when I met him.
     He did not let me down. I have never had, or heard of a bishop that cared so much for his ward as Bishop Bourgeois. And every Bishop I have had are amazing men. Bishop Bourgeois invited the four new couples in the ward into his office after church. At first I thought it was odd, but was quickly taken back by such a strong spirit in the room. For the next hour we just talked and listened to this powerful man. He counseled us to put the Lord first in our lives. He said that school is going to be hard.
     He shared some personal experiences of when he was in school providing for a family, working full time and trying to fulfill his church callings. He went to school from 8-3, worked 3-11, and would come home and put his wife to bed and then stay up for a few hours to do homework. He averaged 4 hours of sleep a night. He said that he would set aside one night before a test to study for a few hours. This was his only time that he would get to study. He said there were 5 different times that he was called the same night he had set apart to study for his test, by his Bishop to do something for his calling (He was Young Men President). He said it was these times when he was really tested. Was he going to study for the test and have the Bishop get someone else to help him? Or would he put the Lord first and trust that the Lord would help him on his test to remember the things he had learned in class?
     He got emotional as he told us that there were 5 times when he got 100% on his tests. Each time was after he chose to put the Lord first and helped the Bishop out. The Lord helped him on each of his tests. He turned and looked each one of us in the eye and bore his testimony about how important it is to keep the Lord close in this hard time. Too many people feel like they will just go on a “spiritual vacation” during school because they just don’t have time for it all.  But there will never be enough time. After school it will be rotations, residency, work, kids, etc. He said we will be blessed to keep the Lord in our lives throughout our schooling. It was a truly inspiring meeting and fun just to sit and talk as if we were all old friends.
   It was in this room that Brian and I were really overwhelmed with the feeling that this was where the Lord wanted us at this time. For whatever reason it was this school out of all the others, we felt a even stronger conviction that we had made the right choice when we listened to the spirit to come here.
   What a marvelous blessing the gospel is to our lives. I feel so blessed to have it apart of me, especially as we are out here. It makes me so excited to share this beautiful truth! My friend Mariah Tippetts and I talked about missionary work as Brian and I moved out here, she told me a quote she had gotten from Institute.
        Do More With Less

        L=ove
        E=xample
        S=ervice
        S=hare 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Some Love!