Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Day 80! 100 Guys

    I've had quite a few people ask me, "You and Brian only dated for 3 months! How did you know he was the one so soon?"
    That's a good question! And had this story belonged to anyone else I probably would have asked the same question saying things like, "That's so fast!" or "They're too young!" What I have come to find out though, is that the Lord has his own way of letting us know and it's all under His direction.. in His time.
100 Guys

    One of my best friends, Chrysti Huntsman, and I decided to make a goal when we turned 16. Both of our birthdays are in the beginning of the school year, so we both turned 16 right from the beginning of sophomore year of high school. The goal we decided on was that we were going to go on dates with 100 different guys before we could get married. Sounds shocking right? Well when we first started talking about it, it seemed unreasonable and an odd thing to do. But the more we talked, the more I realized... "Chrysti! We are Brilliant!"
    The whole purpose of dating so many guys was solely for the experience and of course.. fun! This way we would easily do what the Prophet had asked us to do by not going steady with anyone but by dating around and enjoying ourselves. This would help us stay clean and worthy for our future spouse, but also it would give us options throughout our dates.
    We would be able to experience first hand what we wanted in a future husband and of course---what we didn't. We made a list of all the guys we went on dates with but also made a list of qualities as well. After every date---even if it was bad--- we would write down a positive quality that we liked from the date so that we could always say we learned something.
    Those who knew me in high school knew that I really was a dating machine. And I'm saying this in the most modest way possible. I had the nickname of "Serial Dater" because I had a date every weekend and went to all 21 high school dances. By the end of high school I had reached #102 guys that I had been on dates with. This was completely unexpected! Chrysti would joke around with me and say, "Now you're going to get married!" And I would always tell her that I was just going to start another list of 100 guys for college.
    Little did we both know, that my dating days were coming to an end. I had reached my goal, gained my experience, and I can honestly say I knew exactly what kind of guy I wanted. I just lacked the desire to marry young.
    Ha, anyway here is my list of most important qualities that I built up over my many dating years. It has changed from dating 100 guys to having 100 qualities.

100 Qualities: (Not necessarily in order from most important)
  1. He will have a love of God
  2. He will be forgiving
  3. He will have a strong testimony
  4. He will have wild sense of Adventure
  5. He will always serve others
  6. He will be a Returned Missionary
  7. He will be wise and humble
  8. He will always be a gentleman
  9. He will be able to accept correction and change
  10. He will be able to comfort, aid, and support me
  11. He will always strive to make virtuous choices
  12. He will embrace responsibility
  13. He will affirm and build others up
  14. He will treat his sisters and mother with respect
  15. He will not be ashamed of the gospel of Christ
  16. He will be trustworthy and gain the respect of others
  17. He will be a Provider
  18. He will love Cuddling
  19. He will be Spontaneous and Random
  20. He will be self-reliant and a Leader
  21. He will be logical, but practical
  22. He will be good-looking and well groomed
  23. He will always be up for new things
  24. He will enjoy losing at board games
  25. He will enjoy quoting movies, especially Disney
  26. He will get a good education
  27. He will love his Father in Heaven more than he loves me
  28. He will not have fingernails longer than mine
  29. He will respect me
  30. He will be honest in everything he does
  31. He will be my best friend and my pal
  32. He will love music
  33. He will love to laugh
  34. He will love to dance and not care who is watching
  35. He will protect me and make me feel safe
  36. He will be creative
  37. He will be a man of prayer and scriptures study
  38. He will be good with kids
  39. He will be VERY patient
  40. He will have a sense of humor
  41. He will think before he acts
  42. He will cook or want to learn
  43. He will care about his health
  44. He will think I’m beautiful
  45. He will have straight teeth
  46. He will love to be with me
  47. He will easily be able to carry on conversation
  48. He will be like my dad
  49. He will help me be a better person
  50. He will be dedicated and devoted
  51. He will learn from the mistakes he makes and be better
  52. He will handle conflicts maturely
  53. He will want a family and children
  54. He will not be selfish, but mature in all matters
  55. He will treat me like a lady
  56. He will seek kindness first, no matter what the circumstance
  57. He will have a good career doing what he loves
  58. He will sincerely care about other people
  59. He will love to watch old movies with me
  60. He will not be lazy
  61. He will love to read
  62. He will have style
  63. He will stand up for what he knows is right
  64. He will love his family
  65. He will love my family
  66. He will know marriage is forever
  67. He will yell with me at sport events
  68. He will have a good relationship with his Father in Heaven
  69. He will love me more and more everyday
  70. He will be confident but not conceited
  71. He will be faithful, loyal, and committed
  72. He will know how to do simple household chores
  73. He will not be afraid to get his hands dirty
  74. He will be a hard worker
  75. He will support my goals
  76. He will know how to show me he loves me
  77. He will have goals and achieve them
  78. He will love playing pranks
  79. He will appreciate life
  80. He will be positive
  81. He will accept me with or without make-up
  82. He will be affectionate, sensitive, and tender
  83. He will be organized and not messy
  84. He will trust me to do the right thing
  85. He will be good at managing finances
  86. He will be able to act professional when needed
  87. He will be street smart, have some common sense
  88. He will love games and being outdoors
  89. He will be active and athletic
  90. He will be taller and bigger than I am
  91. He will be a little mysterious
  92. He will be a great communicator
  93. He will be passionate for life and it’s possibilities
  94. He will be self-motivated
  95. He will spoil me—even when I refuse to let him
  96. He will always be a worthy priesthood holder
  97. He will take me to the temple
  98. He will take me around the world
  99. He will be very, VERY romantic
  100. He will kiss me like he means it.. because he does
    People told me that with a list like that I would never find the perfect man. They were wrong. I have found him and am going to be married to him in less than 3 months. Can you believe one guy could have it all? I couldn't.. at least, not until I met Brian! :) Brian was guy #110. That's a good number to end on. And I can answer people honestly now when they ask my why. I had enough experience under my belt. #110 but I only need 1! God knew even if I didn't yet, that I was ready for the biggest decision of my life: Marriage to my BEST FRIEND! :)
 
Yep! That's my future husband! :)


1 comment:

  1. Are you sure Brian's just confident...not conceited (#70) just kidding. Cute list I guess I should start on mine since you told me I should have a list too :) love you lots girly :) & brian too ;)

    ReplyDelete

Leave Some Love!